Online Parent Support Chat

Can I keep her away from these friends?

Parents Support One Another @ MyOutOfControlTeen.com/support = I need help with the following issue:  I'm just starting this program and my daughter is so out of control that I can't even have a normal conversation with her.  Whenever I try to talk, or discuss something, as soon as she hears something she does not like she tells me to shut up, she's not listening and talks over me or just says blah, blah blah.  How do I talk to her without getting this response.  Also, I can't stand her friends.  They are all like her, they have no direction in life and I know they do drugs which means she must also.  I have more but I think this is enough for now.  Question, can I keep her away from these friends?  I am at a loss.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teenage years are hard. I am on my 3rd child going through the crazy years. First two were easy. The third is totally different. Is your child in any school activities? Staying involved helped with my first two. Some kids just don't want to talk to their parents. Just keep trying...I know it is hard. Try spending time with her and maybe her friend. Lunch for the girls, a movie, or a day shopping. Maybe having the three of you together will help. Just do not give up...If you focus on the neg. parts of the other child it will drive your daughter toward her. Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

Keep trying... say 'good morning" .... talk to her.... she is listening far more than you know. Remember she is trying to separate from you. What you like, she will question.

Anonymous said...

I have three teen age boys so I'm in a similar boat. The bad news is that this truly is normal behavior for teens. As a high school teacher, I hear this quite often from parents. I also remember I spent a lot of time in my room with the door shut listening/singing to music..........or I was on the phone (why my parents never wrapped the phone cord around my neck, I'll never know!). I think part of it is a testing a little separation/independence while parents are still around to provide a safety net, if you will. Keep talking to your daughter even if you feel like you're talking to yourself. As long as she doesn't have something crammed in her ears (like ear buds from an iPod), she's listening to you. Keep the lines of communication open and you'll be fine................frustrated maybe, but fine.