Online Parent Support Chat

13 yr old ODD daughter...

Parents Support One Another @ MyOutOfControlTeen.com/support =

I need help with the following issue: Hi. I am new. I have a 13 yr old ODD daughter who has been difficult since three. I am a single Mom and she has really frazzled me. I have always tried to remain calm and not let her get to me, but it happened and we have had our share of crappy times - I have even had to call the police on her (at age 12!) when she threatened me with a knife a few days before Christmas. So, now I am really working at staying calm and she is trying everthing in her book to piss me off: insistent pestering, threats of destroying stuff, name calling or mean teasing, screaming, ranting, and telling me to shut th F*** up.

I see a little improvement today but I feel drained most of the time. I have no friends or family around us, no break. But I am working at this and have hope. My question today is how best to deal with the fowl language and name calling to be mean to me?

Online Parent Support

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

here should be some sort of punishment for what she said but if she is normally a good kid it sounds like she is having some issues and he needs to talk about it to either you or a close friend or relative. Mabey the arguement really upset her. Remember.....just because she is a kid dosent mean that she dosent have feelings and a mind of her own and she too can reach a breaking point in life where she just snaps and looses controll of her emotions and words. As for a punishment.....shes 13, take away something that you as parents pay for (e.g., cell phone).

Anonymous said...

Well, she would only do it once to me, that's for sure . . .

For the complete lack of respect and the feeling that she had the right to say something so totally crude and rude to her father, she would find herself totally grounded for a solid month. No car, no phone, no computer, no TV, no dates -- NOTHING. And she would not be bored, because she would be SO busy around the house, scrubbing floors, cleaning bathrooms, washing cars, cutting the grass, etc., etc.

Anonymous said...

If my daughter EVER said that too me, I would first flip out on her and let her know NEVER to disrespect you EVER again! Then take away what means the most to her, does she have a party to go to, she can kiss that goodbye. Does she have a cell phone, bye bye priveleges. AND she better apologize, until she realizes sincerely what she did wrong, her life will be school, sports and home...