Online Parent Support Chat

Son has Aspergers & ADHD

Parents Support One Another @ MyOutOfControlTeen.com/support = I need help with the following issue:

My 15 year old son has Aspergers Syndrome and ADHD. He would like to play video games to the exclusion of all other activities. When we attempt to limit his video game time, he reacts violently. He has even threatened suicide over the issues and was taken to the hospital two times as a result.

He is receiving behavioral therapy, but his arguing and violent outbursts control our household.

Do you have any suggestions on how to tie chores to his video game time privilege that will not result in his spinning out of control?

Online Parent Support

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Copy and paste the link below into your browser ...it takes you to MyAspergersChild.com and will take you to a post that talks about aspergers and temper tantrums:

http://www.myaspergerschild.com/2007/12/temper-tantrums-and-meltdowns.html

Hope this helps,

Tracy

Anonymous said...

This is what I did. They get over indulgent or overboard w/the games. I stopped them, period. No more games, no more tantrums. They will throw a fit at first,but will get over it. I just put a block on it that stopped games. Then I gradually gave it back to him. Outbursts over games or possessive I removed the games again. He gets mad, oh well. I use the example of the dog bones, fights I remove the object fromt he dogs. Stops the fights.