Online Parent Support Chat

Any ideas...

I have a 14 year old son with Asperger's Syndrome and need some advice on what to tell his English teacher. He doesn't understand the difference between Make-Believe and Lies when it comes to writing about something Real. The teacher tells him that he just has to make something up when he doesn't know what to write about. This DOES NOT WORK and I don't know what to tell this teacher. She told me that the school does not teach the teachers how to teach a child with AS or Autism or any other disorder/disability – that is the special ed teacher’s job. And I suppose if the teachers are not made to do something, they don't care and won't initiate teaching themselves. Can you tell how frustrated I am? My son says this teacher tells him to lie and he won’t do that. Of course, this is not exactly what she is saying but this is what he hears and this teacher just will not understand this. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't have any personal knowledge of effective ways to teach children w/aspergers, but you may find info on Dr. Stephen Shore's website.I think it is www.autismasperger.net or just google Dr. Stephen Shore. Hope it is helpful.