Online Parent Support Chat

I'm at a loss and don't know what to do next...

Parents Support One Another @ MyOutOfControlTeen.com = I need help with the following issue:

My 15 year old son received his 4th MIP last night - 2 for alcohol and 2 for cigarettes. He has had 2 alcohol & drug evaluations, 2 courses of education, meetings, court, probation, ect., and it really does not seem to matter to him too much. He wants to drop school and get his GED - Unacceptable! I'm at a loss and don't know what to do next or how to address the most recent MIP with him. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why would you force your son to stay in public school? Why don't you instead of just fighting him on this find out why he wants to drop out? Maybe check if there are any alternative high schools around? I personally went to an independent study program for the last two years of high school and my grades immediately rose up, I was happier, and I graduated early.

Anonymous said...

Maybe he's being bullied in school, or has some other school problem that he will NOT tell you about. Maybe you have to make a deal with him: He works his butt off at home doing ...Something ... and he can 'home-school' himself as long as he passes the school tests. But if he skrews up, you send him to juvenile jail.
That's IT! He's GOT to have a GED or diploma to do anything nowadays!

Anonymous said...

I think that I would be just like you - upset if my daughter wanted to quit. But obviously he his having some issues and if he wants to get his GED then maybe that would help him and you could praise him for making that commitment and following thru with it. It may make your relationship with him better if he knew he could trust you to trust him with some of his decissions?