Online Parent Support Chat

I hope they are healing tears...

Okay finally he is opening up to me Messy though, he is my grandson and has lived
with me for 16 years, he just turned 17 So what he is feeling is that he can no longer trust his mom, that as soon as things start getting better for her, she will turn her back on him again, and the dad has never been there at all, so thats no option, I validated his pain, yes he is feeling pain, and his feelings, while trying to get him to see if his mom has changed , and at least see her to get his birthday presents, but he will not, says he cannot be hurt anymore. A lot of this explains the acting up,numbing with pot,etc and they changed all his shifts around at work to , so he had a bad day yesterday as well Right now he is downstairs crying, and I am glad he talked to me , but it is upsetting to see him in tears, I hope they are healing tears, he says he is trying to hang around with nicer friends, thats why he has so few now, compared to last year, He is either very good at faking emotions and getting to me, or he is in real pain and I dont know what to do to help him, he refuses to see a counsellor right now, does not want to talk about it , says he just wants to try and be happy I am not! sure if the meds are working, he's been on them a month now I know i am rambling here , just clearing my thoughts a bit I guess, I do not have anyone to talk to about this, my boyfriend left in Oct, again someone who has been there for a long time leaving him I am following the program and working on communication with him right now, plus trying to boost his self esteem, I am thinking he must feel terrible any ideas will help

Online Parent Support

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going through the same thing. My Son has so many ups and downs I can't keep up with them. One day he's planning his future, taking his meds, happy, etc.. The next day he doesn't feel good (usually nauseous), he's never going to take his meds again, he's just wanting to get it over with, etc.. I read in one the posts that people don't usually change their personalities and he's always been kind of volatile and childish about what he wants. But, his life never depended on it before so now it's hard for me to blow him off and just say I'm not going to respond to this when I know how important his meds are. But, I don't know whether this is some kind of depression or whether he's manipulating me and everyone else including his Dr. just to get attention and whatever it is he wants at the moment. Right now he's driving me crazy with this roller coaster.

Mark Hutten, M.A. said...

Maybe he's just depressed.
Depression is one of the most common emotional problems in the United States and around the world. The good news is that it's also one of the most treatable conditions. Therapists and other professionals can help. In fact, about 80% of people who get help for their depression have a better quality of life — they feel better and enjoy themselves in a way that they weren't able to before.

Treatment for depression can include talk therapy, medication, or a combination of both.