Online Parent Support Chat

Friend's son has been diagnosed w/ODD...

My best friend's son has been diagnosed w/ODD. I'm looking for a way to help her to have him removed from the home. The current situation is where the parents fear for their lives, the child does recieve therapy, has also been placed in mental hospitals (average stay 4-7 days) he has a social worker, a probation officer, has been in front of a judge numerous times because of his behavior, the school however protects him even after all the incidents that have happened, kicking a child intentionally in the face, choking a child on the bus for 2 years, parents had no knowledge until other parent didn't get resolution from the principal called the police, HOW CAN I HELP THEM ? her and family

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For behavior modification to work, the program must have certain properties:

1.A few important behaviors need to be targeted. Rather than targeting "being good," you might try no hitting and no swearing.

2. The behavior must be clear cut and not fuzzy. Things like "listen when I tell you something" won't work, because it is too unclear. A better idea would be, "Sit down and look at me when I ask you to listen."

3. It must be consistent. There is no bending of rules in this sort of thing: no difference between the baby-sitter, mom, or dad.

4. The rewards and punishments need to be geared to the individual.

5. The rewards should not be money or things that are bought, but rather should be privileges which you can grant or activities which the child can do. Behavior Modification should not require a bank loan.

6. There needs to be an even mix of negative and positive reinforcers. The program should not be like candyland, but it also should not be out of Dorchester Prison. A typical Positive one would be a later bedtime on the weekend or a choice of dinner. A typical negative one would be going to your room or no TV.

7. It should be simple and straightforward so that your child easily understands it. If your child can read, it should be written down. If possible, your child should sign it and agree to it.