Online Parent Support Chat

My 16 (soon to be 17) year old daughter...

My 16 (soon to be 17) year old daughter has taken to staying at her boyfriends house every night for the past few months and basically treats her own house like a hotel. She has no respect for me or her family and does not listen to anything we try and say to her or do for her. She is extremely rude and surly and totally 100%selfish, only ever thinking of herself and never others. Basically everything always revolves around her. I have now said I want to go on holiday for a week in October with my partner (she refuses to come away with us) and that she can either stay at her boyfriends house or with her dad (we are divorced), however, she is refusing to leave the house whilst I am away and expects me to leave her on her own for a week but she is incapable of being trusted at all and is in my eyes too young to be left alone. She also says I cannot make her go, that she is not going to leave and that I cannot force her. I am now considering cancelling my holiday as dont know what to do but dont think that a 16 year old totally selfish child should dictate what I can and cannot do in my own home. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well ...this may not work for you, but it did for me. I went through the same thing (son refused to go camping with us for a week).

I took my son to stay with his father (I'm divorced). He contested loudly of course. I changed the one and only lock, which is on the front door (son did not have a key). And most importantly, I recruited a friend of mine to stay at the house -- she had to work through the day, but stayed through the night.

I also have a retired neighbor who is home most of the day. He was asked to call the police if he saw my son try to break in the house.

I told my son about this plan. He did not try anything while I was gone, which he did last year when this plan was not in place.

Good luck!